Welcome to First Year (B.Tech, Dual Degree, M.Tech) !
Dear Freshers, congratulations on joining IIT (ISM), Dhanbad! The department welcomes all of you to this prestigious institute, and hopes that you have an enriching and memorable experience during your studies here. Things look better than ever before for the department, with a steady and robust growth in placements; as well an impactful presence in both the industry and academia. The Computer Science & Engineering Society (CSES) and the ACM Student Chapter of the Institute are two driving forces of this growth. Together they organise a plethora of events: Guest lectures, coding competitions, workshops; along with co-curricular events such as ‘Udbhav’ (annual day celebrations of the department), and Inter-branch sports competitions. Thus, the students are constantly provided with opportunities for their holistic growth. The senior students of the department also pitch in towards the growth of their juniors through initiatives such as ‘CodeISM’ (Weekly coding classes) and ‘SpeakUp’ (Public speaking classes).
To develop and foster the relationship between the existing students of the department and the alumni; we organise ‘Confluence’, the annual alumni meet. And then there is BufferedReader, the bi-annual magazine of our department. The magazine presents its readers with the latest activities of the department, as well as that of the world of Computer Science. It is also the most well received magazine of the Institute. With that, the department wishes all of you its very best for your endeavours to contribute to the department’s growth, and your own, in the future.
Change of Headship
Prof. Prasanta K Jana has been appointed as the new Head of the Department while Dr. Chiranjeev Kumar has been appointed as the Professor in-Charge of Training and Placement Cell.
Dr. Shweta Malwe has contributed tremendously to the department. She has been the faculty in-charge of the BufferedReader since its inception. Her effort towards bringing out the best in us are immeasurable. You have been an inspiration to all of us, and a mentor that we always look up to. We wish you all the best for your future and hope you will keep in touch with us from time to time.
- This year 57 students changed their branch to B. Tech CSE while 5 to Dual Degree CSE.
- A total of 92 jobs were offered for a batch of 115 students in the previous academic year (2016-17).
Ongoing R&D Projects
- Information Security Education and Awareness (ISEA) – Phase II (MCIT)
- Design of Reliable and Energy Efficient Transport Layer Protocols for Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (SERB-DST)
- Energy-Efficient Intruder Detection Schemes for WSN using Learning-based Techniques (DRDO)
- Node Mobility Techniques For Tactical IP Networks (CAIR Labs)
- Design and Implementation of Multiple Strategies to Identify Handwritten Forgery Activities in Legal Documents (SERBDST)
- Precision Agriculture Model to Increase Crop Productivity in India using Big Data (SERB-DST)
- WSN based Disaster and Environmental Monitoring System for Safety of Miners working in Underground Coal Mines (CSIR)
Short Term Courses
- Short term course on Data Mining & its Applications during 27 Feb to 03 March 2017.
- Short term course on Digital Imaging: Techniques and Applications during 04-08 April 2017.
- Short term course on Conceptual Big Data during 07-09 June 2017.
- Prof. G. P. Biswas was awarded ‘Canara Bank Research Publication Award’ in recognition of his excellence in research publications based on cumulative impact factor of the SCI / SCIE / SSCI indexed Journals.
- AMDOCS Innovation Project – Three teams qualified for Top 5 and Two of them qualified for top Three (2nd & 3rd) and received Rs. 50,000 each.
- TCS CodeVita Participation - Two teams qualified for the finals.
- AMAZON Code Wizard Challenge 2017 – Two teams in Top 10.
- Mr. Akash Rawal (2K18) qualified for Google Summer of Code (GSoC).
- One team qualified for the finals in the Smart India Hackathon’17 hosted by National Informatics Centre, Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Government of India.
- Mr. Janmajai Rastogi (2K16 Batch) – First prize (Rs. 50,000/-) in ‘CrackTheCode’ - a Hackathon hosted by Paysafe.
- Mr. Sawrav Roy (M.Tech 2K13) won the AFT (Amazon Fulfilment Technologies WW) Defect Destroyer Award.
Sports Meet - 2017
"All work and no play makes anybody Dull"
That’s one age old adage and it can’t be closer to the truth. There’s a reason why children are encouraged to play just as much as they are encouraged to study – Playing sports is fundamental for a child’s growth and development. However, as we grow and become adults, our busy schedules obscure sports into the background; and eventually, out of our lives.
What is striking, though, is that their effectiveness as an activity for rejuvenating us doesn’t reduce one bit from what it was in our childhood. Infact, adults bond better with each other over sports than any other activity. Keeping such fundamental truths in mind, and with an eye for cementing the warm relations between our department’s soon-to-graduate students and the faculty; the Computer Science and Engineering Society conducted the very first edition of the indra-departmental Sports Meet.
- Dr. Ajay Kumar Yadav on ‘Study and Development of Routing Protocols for Multi casting in Wireless Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks’.
- Dr. Ruhul Amin on ‘Secure multi-factor authentication schemes for remote login and real life applications’.
- Dr. Debasis Das on ‘Processing and analyzing fingerprint images with applications in bio metric security’.
- Dr. Kshiramani Naik on ‘Design of some transform domain based image cryptosystem, stenography and watermarking schemes’.
- Dr. Rishav Singh on ‘Study & development of new born face recognition techniques in a semi-controlled environment’.
- Dr. Rohit Kumar Yadav on ‘Design of soft computing methodologies for bioinformatics problems’.
- Dr. Srikant Jannu on ‘Study and design of energy efficient routing algorithms for wireless sensor networks’.
- Dr. P. C. Srinivasa Rao on ‘Designing soft computing algorithms for wireless sensor networks’.
- Dr. Praveen Lalvani on ‘Study and investigation of routing protocols for wireless networks using soft computing’.
- Dr. Tapas Kumar Mishra on ‘Design of reliable and energy efficient protocols for Ad-HOC networks’.
- Mr. Rahul Bhansali (2K13) took admission at the Stony Brook University.
- Mr. Anupam Samanta (2K14) took admission at the Stony Brook University.
- Mr. Deepak Gupta (2K14) took admission at the Stony Brook University.
- Mr. Sakshi Gopal (2K14) took admission at the Carnegie Mellon University
- Mr. Snehil Tiwari (2K14) took admission at Texas A&M University.
- Mr. Mohit Chawla (2K16) took admission at the Cornell University.
- Mr. Bhargav Parsi (2K17) took admission at University of California, Los Angeles.
- Ms. Kriti Singh (2K17) took admission at the Cornell University.
- Mr. Shakti Singh (2K13) took admission at University of Texas, Dallas.